My Learnings from “Transcendence 2018”
Tata Institute of Social Sciences organised a 2-day conference on OD, Change and Leadership (ODCL) on 31st August and 1st September 2018 at the TISS Convention Centre. The conference was seamlessly woven and orchestrated and the whole experience was a revelation. Here are my key Learnings from the various speakers of the conference…
Don’t try to change the belief rather transform the believer.
Failure in a nice way is not a great performance.
- Annaswamy Vaidheesh – Vice President & Managing Director, GSK Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Nature is the longest lasting institution.
Think child like, Think nimble, Think humble.
Hierarchy is a bias and we need to be a snipe to attack the biases.
- Deepak Garg – Managing Director and CEO, Rivigo
A tree cannot be happy, if forest is not.
Co Creation starts with deep listening and embracing the brokenness of all stakeholders.
- Manish Srivastava – SPT Teacher & Practitioner, Presencing Institute, USA
What makes people stay in the organization?
Why do people look around for other jobs?
Bring a change in your organization than changing jobs.
- Savitha S R – Delivery Manager, Zensar Technologies
People have tremendous potential only if they can be identified; nurtured and channelized.
If one isn’t improving, one is decaying.
When we walk into an Organization, we put on a ‘facade’ and fall prey to “Imposter Syndrome”.
- Tanuja Abburi – HR Thought Leader, Founder, Beyond Pinks
How do you transform business models to keep up with time?
With an intelligent blend of strategic planning, operational consulting and
- Sushma Rajagopalan – Managing Director & CEO, ITC Infotech
Live your life as if it were your last day, Go for it.
I want to honour my life, my time on this planet.
Nourish, fulfil and value yourself.
Ask your inner compass, would this make me happy?
- Manisha Koirala – Actress & Activist
Briocolage – French word for being resilient and bouncing back
The term “psychological bricolage” is used to explain the mental processes through which an individual develops novel solutions to problems by making use of previously unrelated knowledge or ideas they already possess.
- Santosh Babu – Chairperson, OD Alternatives
Three ways to have a conversation – debate, discussion & dialogue.
Stories matter a lot – what attracts most – Algorithms or ‘Lion & Mouse story’.
An ounce of practice is much better than tons of theory.
Conversation should not lull us into status quo
- Manish Advani – Head Change Management, Marketing & Public Relations, Mahindra SSG
- Satish Agnihotri – Professor, Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas, IIT B
- T T Srinath – Organisation Development Consultant & Facilitator, Human Processes
Keep your head above water, the way an old man carrying a sewing machine held above water and a smile on his face, in a picture.
- Biswa Dash – CEO ,MindCrux
Make a impact that matters, be holistic, be nimble & response ready
- Madhavi Chalamalasetti – Delloitte University
- Chandrasekhar Katuri – Delloitte University
Theatre is a fugitive – It’s gone. To be able to communicate quickly you have to be aware of your body instrument
- Stefan Haves – Cirque Comique
We find ourselves in a VUCA (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous) world. We need humility to help each other, help embrace the world as it is in the pursuit of human excellence
- Gary Mangiofico – Associate Dean, Pepperdine University & Chair, OD Network, USA
99 % of our behaviour is non conscious & our decisions are emotional. Context alters behaviour and heuristics are efficient short cuts.
- Biju Dominic – CEO & Co-founder, FinalMile Consulting
Too many people are miserable at work; not enjoying work is like saving sex for old age. Wealth is going up but happiness is going down.
- Birender Ahluwalia – Founder, Positivity Company
Use self as instrument of change.
Is my presence evoking evocations of provocations?
Find out your weirdness quotient
- Sushma Sharma – Founder & Executive Director, Swayam Shiksha Prayog
Leadership is fluid & boundary-less. It is like a hummingbird, small but with a good range of adaptation.
Agility is a continuum and one must have the compass of alignment, internal & external.
Work on radiating confidence & crafting yourself.
All people are important, together we are fixing something
- Abhijit Mazumder – Chief Information Officer, TCS Ltd
- Shabbir Merchant – Founder & Chief Value Creator, Valuead Consulting
- Manoj Varghese – Academician
- Swatee Sarangi – Head Capability Development, L&T
Evoke the compassion in you to be effective & impactful
- T V Rao – Chairman, TVRLS
Disruptive leadership and engagement works
Your customers do not know what they want; you have to show them what you have.
Comfort zones kill zeal, energy & conviction
- Prashant Srivastava – Consultant
Thank You TISS
An academician for over 25 years, Dr. Puja Sukhija is a Passionate Trainer, Soft Skills Consultant, Curriculum Developer, and a Seminar Leader. Armed with two Doctorates in the fields of Education and Environment, she has worked with Educational Institutions, Corporate, Aviation and Hospitality industry, Media houses and NGOs.